Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Alone at Night with Nothing but your Thoughts...Time can Draw Out like a Blade

It’s 2 AM…I think. I don’t know. I turned off my phone so that I wouldn’t lose battery. I see the candle quickly melting, how many hours are left on this thing? Please, just let me just fall asleep already. Seriously, what the hell was I thinking. I’ve spent nights in the desert before, in India and Africa with my cousins..terrified. Something about being out in the open, with no sense of where you are and no sort of escape is rather unsettling. So why did I think staying in the deserts of Jordan, alone at night would be any different?! Yet here I was, in Wadi Rum, with only 3 other folks in this desert camp…petrified. What’s worse, they turned off the electricity come 11pm, so all I had was this dingy little candle…and my thoughts. It’s pretty windy outside and the sound of the wind hitting the tent makes it sound like someone is trying to open the door. This is going to be a long night. I somehow managed to fall in and out of sleep and woke up at around 8am. At least the sun had finally come out. I survived the night. NEVER AGAIN will I do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment