Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oppa! Yassas! Let the party begin!

I spend every night, no matter what ungodly time I come back to the apartment, sitting on the balcony and reflecting on life. Something about the cool breeze and overlooking the Mediterranean puts me in a pensive mood. The beach, I finally get to see the crystal blue waters of Cyprus. I spend the next day at the beach, the pool, and walking around the streets. It feels like a more real version of the French Riviera, no pretenses. In the afternoon, we go to the Cypriot village of Kellaki, where Daniela’s mom and aunts grew up. We drive up mountains to reach the village, stopping at the local church, cemetery, and walk to their childhood home. Walking through the windy cobble stone streets, I see various plants, and even grape vines. This takes me back to my youth, days in Jackson Heights, sitting under our grape vine, in the rain.

The evening festivities included going to a traditional Cypriot restaurant which live music and unlimited food. For 15 euros, the food keeps coming out in rounds, until everyone is thoroughly stuffed. Then comes the shots, there is an old uncle who walks around with a bottle of liquor, pouring shots. Oppa! Eva! We all take shots and enjoy the night. This is the night before the wedding, back in Limassol, we check up on Daniela and then head out to check out the bars. Tempted to go out, we are all exhausted and know there will be more craziness that ensues tomorrow. Me and Marie and others talk about the amazingness of this experience and how sometimes those are the best ones, where you just pick up and go..and make things happen…further reinforcing a life of action.

The day of the wedding, we all arrive at Daniela’s apartment and walk into the dressing the groom. In Cypriot tradition, the gumbaro dresses and shaves the groom, in front of everyone. After the ceremony in a local church, we head to a resort in Pissouri Bay, right on the beach. The reception is outdoors, on the lawn overlooking the beach. Dancing the night away with lovely drinks..and lovelier company. We learn the traditional Greek dance, hand in hand, dancing in circles around the happy couple. What more could I ask for..gazing at the stars on this perfect night. After the wedding, all of us crazies decide to hit up the nightlife in Limassol. Head out at 1am, get back at 4am…get in a cab at 6am for my flight back home. I sacrificed sleep over the last few days, but in return, another experience of a lifetime. I will never forget this trip.

It’s almost comical, this recent string of insane occurrences over the last year and half has got me getting used to and expecting unreal experiences. But I am humbled, and appreciative of the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and live life to the fullest. So when life gives you an opportunity like this, just take it, trust me..it's worth it, a 1000 times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment