Thursday, February 16, 2017

Surf Bali

Over the past 5 years, I must have talked all of your ears off about going to Bali to learn to surf. I’m sure most of you were tired of hearing about it as a long lost pipe dream. One of my friends even said, stop talking about it and just send me a picture of a boarding pass if and when it does happen.

Now that it is a reality, it feels almost surreal.

I had read Eat, Pray, Love nearly 10 years ago and knew I wanted to visit Bali at some point in life. From the book, it seemed to be the place to find balance and also focus on spirituality and meditation. For years, I had wanted to learn to surf. Bali is known for its killer waves and surf culture, attracting many from around the world to learn on it’s beautiful shores and reefs. Put the two together, and you have surfing in Bali.
Batu Bolong Beach, Canggu

To me, surf culture represents quintessentially everything I am not; confident, athletic, balanced, in pursuit of a single passion (finding the perfect wave), laser focused on the waves while radiating calmness, and being nonchalant (ability to let life’s problems come and go like the waves of the ocean). So what better way to learn something that would challenge me to the core - physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally.

The onset of this journey feels somewhat different from the other extended adventures around the world, to Dubai, Fontainebleau, and Casablanca. Those journeys started with unlimited energy, high hopes and the goals of exploration and adventure whereas this one seems to focus more on re-energizing and reflection.

As I spend my first day here, listening to the Balinese lounge music by the pool, I can’t help but to de-stress and unwind. How could you not, with this beautiful pool, tropical foliage including banana plants and a group of relaxed strangers. This environment almost forces you out of your misery, whether you like it or not. I look forward to the adventures ahead over the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment