Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Ancient Medina

We walk through the labyrinth that is the medina. At first I try to keep track of where we are going, but I easily forget as the narrow alleyways and streets all look the same. I see Berber windows, windows with carvings of the family name for Berber women to look out of. In the past, unmarried women were not allowed to go out of the house, only one day a week. So these windows allowed them to look out, without letting anyone look in. The markings on the window are similar to the ones that Berber women used to have tattooed on their face – with family information. It was their way of communicating where they are from when they went out.

Some of the streets are so narrow that I need to twist my shoulders sideways just to get through. So obviously cars are not allowed inside as they wouldn’t fit anyway. People have furniture etc .sent via the rooftop as that is the only way to get large items into the house. As I peek into homes with open doors, there are beautiful mosaics that line the walls. Fes, known as the home for many artisans and crafts boasts pottery, leather, bronze, and herbs. Youssef, the guy who works at the hostel took me to this awesome restaurant with a terrace that overlooks the entire medina. In all honesty I was freaked out at the thought of having to find my way back. But one thing I’ve improved on this trip is my sense of direction; which is usually horrible. I wander into the medina for a while and manage to find my way back.

I end my trip on the last night exploring the “new Fes” area, which is much more modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment