Friday, July 16, 2010

At Last...The Beach


Koh Samui airport rocks. Walking off the plane, you are on a tiny beach island off the coast of Thailand. The baggage claim is outdoors, the belt surrounded by palm trees. Koh Samui has some 1 million palm trees. I booked a hostel on Lamai Beach, the less crowded one, and for about $20/night I had paid for a dorm room, but since there was only one other person in the hostel, they gave me my own room. iBed in Koh Samui is no hostel, it feels like a 4 star hotel; it’s a brand new, modern and funky hostel. Only downside is that there was nobody there since it was so new. I spent the next few days walking around, lounging at the beach and taking a snorkeling tour to several other islands.  This time I took sea sickness meds before I got on the boat..worked like a charm. Snorkeling in Thailand is fun and all, I saw a lot more fish (finally saw nemo) than at the Great Barrier Reef but yeh you just can’t compare. One cool thing is that schools of fish will just swim all around you. At one of the snorkel sights, I cut my foot pretty badly on coral reef – let me tell you, that hurt like hell. The poison from the coral reef and the salty sea water made the cut sting for 2 days straight. I met a couple of Aussies and we were all annoyed at how we were missing the Full Moon Party by a day. The party was on Saturday..we were all leaving on Friday. So there is a party every month during the full moon on Koh Phagnan – and attracts about 10-20,000 people for a night of alcohol and debauchery. Hmm..I guess next time.
I flew back to Bangkok on Friday for the day. I had to kill time until my flight at night and decided to go watch SATC 2. I know what you’re thinking…I’m in Bangkok and of all the things I could do, I’m gonna watch that movie?! My rationale was that hey, I’m tired of limping around from the cut on my foot, and in Thailand they play a song for the King before every movie, so you have to stand up. Thus, I will classify watching a movie as a cultural experience. Haha.
Just picked up mango with sticky rice from the stall outside of the hostel..off to the airport to India.

No comments:

Post a Comment