Friday, July 16, 2010

The Quest for God on Lantau Island


I’ve always been open to different religions. When I was younger, I’d spend my days in Catholic school hearing stories about Jesus and by night listening stories of Ram and Krishna from my grandma. I decided to visit the Big Buddha statue on Lantau Island as my interest in Buddhism sparked with my visit to Japan several years ago. Also, the statue is on top of a mountain..reminiscent of classic South Indian temples. The journey started with a rocky and queasy boat ride from Hong Kong Island to Lantau, a nerve wracking taxi ride where I could feel the ups and downs of the curves on the mountain..wondering where this dude was taking me since it had been about 30 minutes. No cell phone signal..nobody in sight. Just road..mountain..and trees, I was a little scared. The taxi drops me off in one piece at the statue, I walk into FOG. I can barely see 10 feet ahead and am just following people around wondering where the statue is.  I see an entrance, look at a post card I bought, realizing that it is right in front of me, but all I see is fog..what a surreal feeling. Making my way up the stairs to who knows what..just up, barely able to see the next few steps ahead.
Suppose it’s a metaphor for God, a representation of God as the unseen and somewhat unknown, yet you walk into the fog of unknown in the quest for God. The journey itself, making your way to an island..walking up 250 stairs, the sacrifice and pilgrimage you will make to get closer to God.  Literally disappearing into the fog and coming back out of it. I may not see the path ahead of me, but I have faith it will lead me in the right direction. Guess it’s a good thing it was foggy today.                                   
I’ve had enough of HK - ready for what I personally think will be the most challenging part of the trip..The Land of Smiles aka Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment