Friday, July 16, 2010

Home Sweet Home in India


By now..I was pretty tired. Trekking around for about a month and especially after Thailand, it was nice to come to something that felt like home. I arrived at midnight to the new Bangalore International Airport; and there were my cousin and uncle waiting to take me home. This would be the one week where I could completely relax, and that’s exactly what I did. Every morning my aunt would ask me what food I wanted, and by the advice of my grandma, she made every savory South Indian dish I used to love as a child.  By day, I’d roam around the city with my aunt, meet up with a couple of Kellogg admits in the area, and see old friends. By night, me and my cousins would go to Xtreme Sports Bar (the one and only sports bar in B’lore) and watch every single World Cup knockout round match. What more could I ask for?
By the way, all the bars (what few there are) in B’lore close by 11:30pm. Due to safety concerns by the gov’t, dance clubs are not allowed to be open after 11pm. Thus you go to a club at 7-8pm (pay around $30 to get in) and then leave. Some nightlife huh? So many nights, once the bar closed, we’d rush back home to watch the second match of the day which usually started around midnight. And getting to and from the bar..that’s another story. The traffic here is hellish, dust everywhere, more potholes than road, and complete disregard for lanes and traffic rules. Many times, I just sat on my cousin’s motorcycle, closed my eyes and prayed.
Alas, it’s been a great week in B’lore – ready for the UAE to finally see all those architectural wonders I’ve read about for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment