Thursday, June 28, 2012

The City of the Dragon

Slovenia, a country with a population of 2 million, and 300k residents in its capital, is a very laid back country. I think that’s what I like most about Eastern Europe is that it isn’t infiltrated with tons of tourists.  I like to go to places that are off the beaten bath or not too familiar. So I fly from Chicago to Ljubljana (pronounced Loubiana) looking for some crazy adventures. And I end up in a hostel room with 2 girls from Chicago and New Jersey who will both be consultants. What are the odds.. But I still enjoy my time with them, we end up getting dinner and drinks near Preseren Square, the main square in the city. We watch all the men walk by and keep a tally of how many of them are carrying “man purses” or “murses”. The weather is perfect and it is so nice to sit outside near the water and have a few drinks.   

The Ljubljana River runs through the city, so there are many restaurants and bars along the river. I love small cities like this that are easy to navigate; you can easily get to know the city very well. Since it is the summer, there are many open air concerts. There is a nice balance of nature and culture here. But I must say that I feel like I am being attacked by killer bikers as everyone rides a bike and the bike lanes seem to overtake the pedestrian walkways. I head up the castle to get some nice views of the city and also notice how most of the country is covered in forests. It is called the city of the Dragon as there are ancient myths on a dragon living in the river and of knights trying to slay it.

One night, I end up going to an outdoor bar to check out the Spain EuroCup game and end up meeting some Slovenian guys. I end up chatting with them all night and learning about random things like immobility of the people, the real estate, and the economy of Slovenia. It is so nice to get a local’s perspective and to converse with random strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment