Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer in Casablanca

Is this really happening? In one fell swoop, I open the email and I feel sheer excitement and fear all at once. I realize suddenly why I want to work in Morocco. It’s not just my obsession with Arab countries, but the new sense of challenge. Sure I’ve traveled here before, in a big group, but not alone, and certainly not for an extended period of time. The first thing people say is, make sure you will be safe. Then the fear sets in. What have I gotten myself into? Am I really ready for this? Or is it just one of those just jump into the fire situations..and is that really a good idea when it comes to personal safety? I hadn’t really thought much other than I want to be in Morocco and wanted to work with Boubker Mazoz – Why? I couldn’t really say way. It is slowly becoming clear to me now. How will it feel to live in a place where I don’t always feel safe and where I have barely a clue about the norms..I guess I’m up for the challenge. Another comment I’ve gotten is, “Casablanca sucks, it’s dirty.” Hmm…where have I hear this before? About my beloved Marseille. In this case, we can assume that I will most likely love Casablanca, as I will see past all of this. My heart beats with excitement and intense fear aka I’m scared shitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment