Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Day in the Life at Sister Cities Africa


The trials of working for an NGO, especially in a developing country is somewhat of an adjustment. It is like “bootstrapping” in entrepreneurship. You just kind of go with the flow, don’t know where things are, don’t have all the supplies, there are slow connections, sometimes no internet.  But either way it is still fascinating. I get the chance to work with an organization that is doing really amazing work and I can make an impact. Not to mention all the personal challenges of working in a multilingual environment. Conversations take place in Arabic, French, and English. My mind spins in meetings as I hear words from all 3 languages thrown around. I find myself having to translate French documents and speak in French to do my work. Working in French is no joke, but I am glad at least I get a shot at it. 

I meet with the head of the organization in his office to discuss on projects and what to do. I will head up a trade mission in order to attract American businesses to North Africa. How will I do this? I have a no idea, but am not too worried. In the midst of the buzz in his office, he starts spewing out random names and cell phone numbers of government officials and ministries that I should contact and meet with to discuss the project. We get interrupted by a phone call – there is a problem in the slums and they ask for his help. He then calls a news station so that they can get some footage of the issue. We continue discussing the project, then he discusses his radio spot this evening to confirm which language he will be conducting the interview in.  

The next morning I walk into the office to see a camera crew shooting video of the boss and folks in the office. This is awesome. The staff in the office is super friendly and are all working on really interesting initiatives from the Cultural Center, Global Youth Festival, Health Center, to promoting partnerships with U.S. Cities. I can see myself changing the world, one day at a time, here, while sipping on the famous Moroccan mint tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment