Saturday, August 18, 2012

French Architecture

Many of the buildings in Casablanca were architected by the French, with the intentions of making it look like Marseille. What a coincidence that this city (which I’m loving more and more as the days go by) was designed based on my other favorite city. I vaguely remember reading about this before I came here, but honesty did not see anything that resembled French streets, or buildings for that matter. I met a Kellogg alum last week and he mentioned it again. This time I made more of an effort as I’d walk through the street to take a moment and look at the buildings, and not assume they are all the same off white now (due to the dust) boxy looking buildings. As I walk through a shopping square, I see a French style building right in front of me. They are everywhere, you just have to look at little more intently and use a little bit of imagination as they are kind of run down and old. Translating this to my experience here, makes me realize that I need to spend more time just observing and watching before make any sort of judgments. Not to mention that my opinions are ever changing and constantly fluid, taking different shapes and forms as quickly as the winds change. To be honest, this is the first time this has happened to me in all my adventures and travels. I do not know how I handle and manage all of these contradictions and hypocrisies. Perhaps it’s time to stop thinking so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment