Saturday, August 18, 2012

Culture

It is surprising how similar Moroccan and Indian culture are. The people are hospitable. Casablanca itself reminds me in many ways of large Indian city. The streets, the people, the smells, the traffic, the vegetable vendor in the morning all remind me of India. So in a sense, it makes me feel at home,as I have a little piece of home here. And what’s even more funny is that Moroccans love Indian culture and Bollywood movies. They love Shah Rukh Khan and loves the colorful outfits and songs in the movies. One night, I was watching an India movie in Hindi, with Arabic subtitles in the home with women – how random. I stay with a family of another intern at SCA, and I was quite nervous at first of being plunged into a Moroccan family, hoping I will somehow fit into their lives. So far it has been fabulous, they are so hospitable and nice. Hanging out with the family and others I have met here – I have learnt a lot about Moroccan culture. From the food to the furniture and how they live daily. I even got to listen to some typical Moroccan and Berber music. Many people here are either only Berber or mixed Arab and Berber. I just remember these distinctions from a famous book called Nedjma by Kateb Yacine – an illustration of the bloody history of Algeria.  The family members say they will speak to me only in French as to help me learn. The aunt only Speaks French – so I teach her English and I learn French from her. They also teach me some words in Arabic.

For me, the greetings are awkward. As an American, I like my space. I don’t like to kiss random strangers that I don’t know. The standard greeting is 3 kisses on the cheek.  As a Moroccan friend said of his visit to the US, people in America are so cold. I feel the exact opposite of the people here. They are too warm –  too close for comfort. I have tried many a time to just shake hands, but that doesn’t work all too well all the time. I will try, but I really don’t think this is something I will get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment