Saturday, August 18, 2012

Men in Morocco


This topic really bothers me. I don’t know what is wrong with the men here. Or actually many of the men in the Arab world as I recall from my past travels. If I knew how to yell at them in Arabic, I would. Do they not know how to treat women? Are they this delusional about the role of women in society and how they can treat us? They act as though they never have seen a woman in their life. Cat calls, hissing sounds, making obscene comments. It’s disgusting. Do they not have mothers and sisters that they would think of and be ashamed of their behavior towards women?
So this was my first impression of men here. So to better understand this mysterious social phenomenon plaguing the Arab world, I asked a diverse group of people.  One girl says it is just part of the culture and just to ignore them. And to say something back is like fighting with a dog, and to not stoop to their level. One guy says they just learn by example, being on the streets, and not everyone does this. Even he doesn’t understand it at times. Another friend says to just take it as a compliment and not take them too seriously.

For now I will keep my mouth shut now.
But let’s see how long that will last…

No comments:

Post a Comment