Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ramadan 2012

Honestly I was scared. I didn’t know what to expect. Are they are strict as Dubai when it comes to foreigners drinking and eating? Will I starve? Even worse, what if I have to eat at Mc Donald’s everyday for lunch, I don’t want be like a dude from Supersize Me. I know a bit extreme..but I can’t help it.

It is nice to see everyone praying together in the streets – even if the reason being for lack of space elsewhere. I feel the sense of community. The first day it is dead –I go to the beach, dead. The mall has decent amount of people, but both places mainly have families with children.  Though like a ghost town during the day – the city comes alive at night with everyone is out and about after iftar. After, people hang out on the Corniche, the mall, or go sit in cafes and people watch. And that’s exactly what I’ve been doing a lot of. Sitting in cafes and watching people as I sip on mint tea. 

As the hear the call to prayer around 7:35, I know once it is done, it is time to eat. I also hear it at 4am one day as I could not sleep well. But in all honestly, though I am truly enjoying the environment here during Ramadan, I do miss the culture at home. Being able to grab a drink with friends, or just drink whenever I want in general. Partially it is the fact that there is a restriction in place, mainly due to my surroundings and circle of friends that have led to these circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment