Saturday, August 18, 2012

Random Things I’ve Noticed

The Hot Mess that is Casablanca
They are building a tramway and metro system in Casablanca, scheduled to be completed by the end of 2013. But what does this mean for its residents now? Complete chaos and construction everywhere. I walk through construction sites daily on my way to work, taking different detours daily depending on where the new construction is. The traffic is also horrendous at times due to this project. It is faster for me to walk to work, than to take a taxi, which could be stuck in traffic for over 30 minutes.

Grand vs Petit Taxis
So I think I’ve finally figured out how the taxi system works here. There are two types of taxis “grand” and “petit”. The grand taxis charge a fixed rate and can take a max for 6 people. Which means 2 people in the front passenger seat. The first time I did this, I was rather hesitant; holding onto the car door for dear life hoping it doesn’t pop open as the driver hugs the curves as though he is the a participant on the the Monaco Grand Prix. The petit taxis can only take 4 people and run on a meter. One interesting thing, both taxis just pick up and drop off people as they go so you already ways crammed into the taxi.  And I’ve figured the easiest way to get around is by just giving them landmarks.

Religion
I meet people with different ideas on religion. I learn a lot about Islam, a lot that I don’t know about it, especially. They comment on the similiartiy bt Islam and Hinduism, though I teach them about my religion as well. One theme seems to resonate – Islam and Arab culture are very different things and sometimes the two get mixed, causing a misperception of the religion in the public eye. Especially in the Western World. 

Cuisine
Fresh fruit juice is my new thing here. I’ve pretty much tried all of them – from OJ to apple, banana, and pear juice.  This sounds weird, but avocado juice with dried fruits is to die for. It is so thick and full of flavor. Yum. This is also the first time I’ve tried prickly pears – in the mid day’s heat, a cool pear is very refreshing. Lastly, behrer, I probably completely jacked up the spelling, but it is a Moroccan pancake/crepe that you fill with butter and honey. Then roll it up and eat it. Deelish.


The Trains..or the Sauna of Death
It took a couple of train rides for me to understand how it works…or in this case doesn’t. The first train I took to Tanger was 6 hours, in the heat, the AC wasn’t really working and tons of people cramped into the compartment. Then I realize I should buy a first class ticket. I do this, and it works out well for my train to Rabat which is just one hour away. I think this is the answer to all of my problems, just buy a first class ticket. On the way back from Fes (a 4 hour ride to Casa), I had secured a seat in first class. Little did I know, this doesn’t matter either. The sun was glaring and I was hot. The train AC was working, but no enough. Then within half an hour, it starts spewing out warm air. Is this a joke? I try to open the window, it’s stuck. I walk out of the compartment, and it’s even hotter out there. The doors of the train are also closed. Welcome to the sauna of death. I frantically start pouring water on myself as I feel like I’m dying. It looks like nobody else is breaking a sweat. Is there something wrong with me? No, the Moroccans are just used to it. I effectively just took a bath in my own sweat. And lucky for me it was also scalding hot in Casa and it took me all day just to feel like I had cooled down. When I tell my friends the story, they just laugh at me, knowing all too well how it works.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment