Saturday, August 18, 2012

Fes

I knew that this was the oldest city in Morocco and I had to visit it. And I had to see the Ancient Medina in the city. Little did I know exactly how large the medina was until I got here. I just expected medinas in the city similar to the ones in Casablanca, Rabat and other Arab cities I’ve been to. However, the ancient medina here is home to 300,000 people and is surrounded by 25 km of defensive walls. There are 14 entrances, each gate more stunning than the next. Fes is the oldest city in Morocco and is split into 3 parts, the ancient, middle and new areas. As the ancient medina sits in a valley, there are 2 forts on the hills on either side of it. We drive outside of the ramparts to see these forts and the medina from above, just to visualize its sheer size.
Though I have a map, I am so confused and overwhelmed by the narrow alleys and streets of the medina. It reminds me of the medina we had entered in Rabat last year, and took us nearly an hour to get out as we could not see above and figure out how to get out. It’s like a labyrinth.

I stay in a riad here, an old Arab house with a few floors and a hollow center. You can look down to the bottom floor from the rooms. It reminds me of our time last year in Marrakech and enjoying time on the terrace. This one is cozier and smaller; I feel like I am inside a dollhouse. It is so surreal, especially with the intricate designs on the walls (paintings, murals, carpets and carvings) – maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to be stuck in here forever..

No comments:

Post a Comment