Friday, April 13, 2012

The 1% : Zurich, Switzerland


How does it feel to live like the top 1%? asks a friend of mine. That’s right, Zurich, where some of the richest in the world live, and also where everything is disgustingly expensive. $8 for a drink (coffee, soda, whatever), and most meals cost around 50 euros. The taxes in Switzerland are rather low, and perhaps offset by the ridiculous traffic violation fines. A Kellogg friend met me there, so a temporary break from solo wandering. We started the first day by just strolling around Zurich (it’s not that big), the lake, downtown and old town area. It’s nice to aimlessly walk through the cobblestone pedestrian streets, wondering what you will see around the corner. There was a nice panoramic bar which served champagne cocktails (something an INSEAD friend said I had to try), which turned out to be a great way to spend the afternoon. As it was a gorgeous day, we grabbed a case of beers (the specific brand was once part of my friend’s extended family business) and enjoyed the sun. It is just an amazing to see the water, and mountains far in the background. Watching the sunset, the mountains look unreal, just like a painting. We meet one of my dad’s friends for dinner who lives here for some classic Swiss fondue. I always joke around that I am my dad’s ambassador, getting to visit all his friends around the world, as he rarely does. Zurich is a nice break in between hard core sight-seeing in Vienna and my next stop, Dubai.

No comments:

Post a Comment