Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chamonix Mont Blanc : The French Alps


I succumbed to peer pressure, or perhaps effective negotiations from a Kellogg friend who persuaded me to come to Chamonix. How could I live in France in the winter and not go to their most famous ski resort (akin to Aspen in the states).  Just a 5 hour drive from Fontainebleau, we head to the Frenc h Alps with some of the INSEAD folks that we call the Korean mafia (dubbed so as we saw them huddled together for some time while planning Korea week at school). 

Every place I’ve been to in France reminds me of some fairy tale or other. Best guess for Chamonix is Narnia. Walking around the mountains and snow lined streets; I wouldn’t be surprised if some mysterious woman with Turkish delights tries to lure me away. Some of us decided not to ski, and just hang around Chamonix for the day. There is a gondola that you can take to Aiguille du Midi at 12,602 ft to see Mont Blanc and other mountains that are in Italy. My lungs are rejuvenated from the fresh mountain air. We stop a drink in the afternoon, deciding to indulge in molleaux au chocolat and mimosas. In my mission to find the best molleaux in France, this one is quite good. Although, it does not compare to the one in Bistrot du Broc in Bourron-Marlotte.  In my desire to make a mimosa, I pour the OJ into the champagne flute. Bad idea. I stumble upon a science experiment as the drink explodes and flows out of the glass like a volcanic eruption for a good 10 seconds. However, if you pour champagne into OJ, there is no problem. Good to know for future reference. 

On the drive back, it is during the daytime so we can get a nice view on the mountains and scenery. As we get slightly lost, we enter Switzerland for all of 10 minutes; I wonder if I can now add this to my country list. All in all, a fantastic weekend in the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment