Thursday, April 12, 2012

Getting Lost on the Cobblestone Streets of Prague



I get this eerie and inexplicable Kafkaesque feeling in the city, inherent in his books. The Castle, which I read years ago in undergrad is about the mysterious character K., who tries to gain entry into the castle but is faced with numerous hurdles. So what better place to start than the Prague Castle itself, the subject of Kafka’s book. Walking through the various buildings of the castle, we find the Golden Lane. It is a cobblestone street with little houses filled with what they used to look like, shops, and a medieval wing. The entire wing has medieval weapons and knight armor. I am fascinated by how heavy the metal suits look, I can’t imagine standing inside one of those, let alone trying to walk or hold a weapon.  There is a nice little puppet shop with many pinnochio like dolls as well, it wasn’t so easy to control one.

That night, we go to the Opera to watch La Traviata, I am very excited at the prospects of my very first opera experience. Lucky for us, there were subtitles translating the content into English, however you can a general idea of the plot by just watching. The opera house itself is very beautifully colored in gold and red. We sit a balcony box on little red chairs. The old town is great too, especially the views from the astronomical clock tower – beautiful orange rooftops of the city.  

Walking through the city is rather interesting as every time  I look at the map, I can’t pronounce the name of the street I’m looking for, or let alone remember it. This is quite a dilemma when trying to navigate around. With names like – Bartolomejska and Melantrichova, what’s the point. We just walk in and out of squares with 6 streets that jut out, wondering which one to pick. So I do what else..but give in and get myself lost on the cobblestone streets of Prague.

No comments:

Post a Comment