Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chateau de Montmélian aka chez moi


I turn right on Rue de Montmélian and reach a green gate at the end. I call the land lady and ask where the château is. Go through the gates. What..really ? I slowly drive through the gate, down a narrow and pebble filled path. There are large overarching trees all around with barely a view of the sky. I keep driving wondering where the heck this house is. About a kilometer down and around the bend, there is it, the magnificent Château de Montmelian (aka Monty). I swear I feel like I just entered the fairy tale of Beauty and the Beast. A castle, tucked away in the middle of the woods.  This can’t be real. Then it hits me; I just moved to the tiny village of Samoreau (2,000 inhabitants) and am now living in this historic castle. I wonder what kinds of crazy wings this place has. There are many suites inside, inhabited by the family and INSEAD students. My suite is on the top floor, facing the front the chateau. It is quite modern inside, you would never know you are inside an old chateau. 

Living here is just divine; there are 2 other suites of students here, and 10 students down in the Hameau – aka the stables and barn. Only in the middle of France would students pay to live in a barn! It is quite nice though as we’ve had drinks down there.  As I leave the chateau every morning, the only sound I hear is of the birds chirping; this is the life. The entire property is beautiful, with a path down to the Seine, bamboo trees, and lots of trees. It is fun to walk around or take a jog around on a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment