Friday, April 13, 2012

Sky Dive Dubai

Looks like I’m back in Dubai, and it hasn’t even been a year. The starts were perfectly aligned for me on this visit; my friend from NJ is here on business, the exact same dates as me. This couldn’t be better timing, my friends attend a business conference during the days (while I lounge and go shopping) and then we party up at night. The weather here in March is the complete opposite of the summer; it is sunny, warm, and breezy, with very little humidity. On Thursday we hit up Republique, I had heard good things about it, but the music was perfect. I can’t remember the last time I’ve been to a club where I like every song that is played.

Other than to visit friends, I came to Dubai to go sky diving. With the sickest drop zone I’ve ever seen, I knew this would be the perfect place to do something crazy before graduation. I felt like I was signing my life away, initialing all the disclaimers on the agreement. After the first 2 pages, I just stopped reading and thought; If I’m going to die doing this, well, what a way to go! Surprisingly, I wasn’t too scared while I was waiting, just had more of a nervous energy. I realized, sometimes you can’t think too much about things and you just have to do it. Once in the plane, I was preoccupied looking out of the window at the amazing views of the Palm Jumeriah, The World, the rest of Dubai, and the water. The last thing I saw before the jump was The World; pretty ironic isn’t it. It isn’t so scary since you as strapped to your jumpmaster and you really don’t have to do anything at all. I honestly think bungee jumping is much scarier. So we jump at 13,000 feet, free fall 8,000 feet in 45 seconds, and then parachute down starting at 5,000 feet. The views of Dubai were just phenomenal, especially when you are falling into it. The Palm and the World can be clearly seen, and seeing the span of the Dubai skyline, you notice the Burj Khalifa glittering into the clouds with large empty space between the marina and downtown. Falling into the foaming green water is especially beautiful against the hazy yellow desert. This is the best way to see Dubai from above.

I built the nerve to face my fear of heights in NZ 2 years ago, but didn’t have time to go sky diving..I guess I’m glad I waited to do it here. I wonder what I’ll do next..base jumping? Rock climbing? Deep sea diving? Stay tuned…

My last night, we spend at Castello’s my favorite sheesha spot in Dubai. The paan rasna and mint sheesha is just divine. You don’t even feel the smoke, but just the essence of paan and minty goodness that freshens yours throat and lungs. Dubai is much more fun when you are here just for a visit, without the thoughts of having to live here. Now I’m off the Paris to say my final goodbyes before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment