Friday, April 13, 2012

The Missing Link between Chocolate, Beer, Comics, Waffles, Mussels and Lace


This is one strange combination of things to be famous for. The journey to Brussels was rather simple; it took less time to get here (1 hour and 20 minutes) than my journey from home to school, to the train station, to Paris. I spend the day walking around as Philip, the owner of the bed and breakfast has given me an entire itinerary of how I should conquer Brussels. The first thing I notice is that I see comics decorating random building walls everywhere. Little did I realize that this city is the Comics capital of Europe, home to many famous comic strips such as Tintin and the Smurfs.  It is interesting to see carts on the streets selling moule frites – aka mussels and fries. Beligum is landlocked; I wonder how they got famous for having mussels. I wander around and take an elevator to the high section of the city, and see the Palais de Justice. Near the Place Royal, I end up checking out the Bellevue Museum, as I knew next to nothing about Belgian history. 

The vibe in this city is pretty cool. All I see is chocolatiers and art galleries everywhere. I stroll through random stores, buying chocolates for friends; even from the most famous, and apparently the best chocolate in Belgium being Pierre Marcolini. I buy one piece of dark chocolate filled with raspberry from Neuhaus. I don’t even like chocolate and this thing tastes amazing. It has a dark chocolate outer coating, with a layer of caramelized sugar as the next layer, filled with raspberry goo; delicious!  I’m excited to finally have a chance to wander around alone in a city. I see signs for Jacques Brel and follow them to see that there is exposition for him. I had heard about him from a French friend a while back, he is a famous Belgian singer, one of his best songs being “Ne me quitte pas”.  I stumble upon the Manneken Pis, which is a famous statue of a young boy peeing. I knew I had found it as there were dozens of tourists in front of it. There are many legends behind the statue, one being that he peed on a fire in order to save the city. 

Many folks have told me to watch the movie In Bruges before visiting the city, but alas I haven’t had the time. Perhaps that is why I am stuck in the hotel while it is snowing; I guess I’ll have to save Bruges for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment