Thursday, April 12, 2012

Copa del Rey in Barcelona


I’ve been an ardent FC Barcelona fan since the 2010 World Cup. And now I have the wild opportunity to watch them play their national arch enemy, Real Madrid in the battle for Copa del Rey (the Spanish Cup). I fly to Barcelona right after class on Tuesday night, and crash with Kellogg friends who are studying there. I spend the day wandering around and buying up Barca gear for the game. Though our seats are in the nose bleed section, we have Real Madrid fans sitting behind us in a cage. Typical of many soccer games, fans of the opposing team usually have to sit in a separate section so as not to ensue violence, and you can’t buy alcohol in the stadium. It was quite amusing to hear the Barca and Madrid fans hurl sweet expletives at each other, I only wish I knew what they were saying.  I had been waiting for the day that I could see Messi ( the futbol wonder) score a goal live. Today was my lucky day, I got to see him score twice, which a consider a captivating experience. Whenever he scores a goal, he usually comes out of nowhere, zips past a few of the opposing players and hurls the ball into the net, as if it were magic. Even though the game was tied, Barca still advanced to the next round since they had beat Real Madrid last week.  

Again, I have to comment on Span’s infrastructure issues. I don’t understand how the city can shut down the metro at midnight when there are 100,000 fans in Camp Nou that need to get home. The game ended at 11:45 and there was no way we could make the metro. We run to the station, just miss the last train, then we try to find a bus, wait for 30 minutes, then start walking. After about a mile of walking we were able to hail a taxi. Come on Spain.. don’t you want an answer to your 20+% unemployment rate? Well here is one solution; the night shift. Can you imagine there being no subways after a Yankees game in the Bronx?! That would be a logistical nightmare..similar to what I experienced that night at Camp Nou. 

Barca Barca Barca! I will never forget this night!   

No comments:

Post a Comment